Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Frustration...

I took Becca back to Magee last night, to the ER....The CT scan she had last week showed 2 - 2 cm cysts on each ovary, so we are assuming that is what is causing the pain. My Pediatrician seemed to think these cysts were something that needed to be taken care of (removed ?) since she's still in so much pain. So, after a long weekend of her suffering and being in pain, I left a message for her gyne at Magee first thing Monday morning. They finally called me back at 2:30 to tell me the gyne was out of town for 3 weeks and that I really needed to call her Endocrinologist about the cysts anyway! So... I called that office and had to leave a message. They finally called me back about 3:00 to tell me that the doctor was out of town until Friday!

The nurse was very supportive and understood Becca's situation and she said that if it were her daughter, she would take her to the ER at Magee and tell them that she has severe abdominal pain and that they would be able to help us.... So I call my Ped back, just to see if he thinks it's a good idea (I have a very good relationship with him) and he said that definitely, that is what I should do, he backs me on it 100%. So, at 4:00, we're heading to Magee with bags packed thinking we may have to stay...

We get there, and after a 2 hour wait (even though there were only two women in the ER waiting room!!!), we get in to see a doctor. She pretty much tells us that abdominal pain is to be expected with PCOS and Becca just has to get used to it. She said she will continue to have more cysts come and go, it's just normal with her condition.

WHAT???? There's nothing you can do??? She says just give her 800 mg of ibeprofin every 4-6 hours and she gave us a script for Vicoden. Tells us to get back in touch with our Endocrinologist and fill him in when he gets back.

I realize she's not an Endocrinologist and just an ER doctor, but this is at a woman's hospital! We were hoping they could do something for her besides give her even more drugs and send us home....

So.... is this truly what we can expect with PCOS??? Will she just have to learn to live with the pain of cysts until she gets her PCOS under control with her Metformin (which they say could take from 6 months to a year to get her levels worked out) and weight loss? or will it EVER be under control?

I don't know the answers, but these are the questions I'll be asking her Endocrinologist when we see him.... I just can't believe she has to learn to live with this pain....

1 comment:

Melissa J. said...

I'm so sorry to hear that she is going through so much pain. I can't imagine the frustration you must be feeling. You're in my prayers!
-Melissa