Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Things to remember if you have PCOS

I got this from a friend of mine a few years ago, but I'm sorry to say, I don't know where she got it :( So I'm posting it here with apologies to whoever wrote it. If you know who did, let me know and I'd be happy to give them credit.

Things to remember if you have PCOS:

* Don't get frustrated - If you don't lose weight quickly or if you've tried to lose weight before and it didn't work. Learning how to choose and balance your carbohydrates and doing regular exercise will help!
* Stay positive! - It can be very difficult to achieve visible results. Doing what's right for your body IS doing something good, even if you don't see a big change in your weight.
* Eat a balanced diet! - Your body needs carbohydrates, protein, and fat.
* Eat small meals and healthy snacks - during the day instead of 3 large meals.
* Choose healthy carbohydrate foods - that are high in fiber and low in sugar.
* Load up on vegetables and fruits! - They are high in fiber and packed with vitamins and minerals.
* Balance your carbohydrate foods - with non-carbohydrate foods.
* Limit your portions - when you are eating high-carbohydrate foods (especially ones that are low in fiber). If you are still hungry at the end of the meal, try having extra vegetables or extra protein foods like meat, fish, eggs, or beans.
* Satisfy your sweet tooth with fruit - or sugar-free Jello® for dessert. Small portions of treat foods can be included occasionally, too.
* Don't forget to exercise! - Good nutrition is important, but it isn't enough. You also need to exercise regularly. Adding exercise or increasing the exercise you already do will help you manage your PCOS.
* Talk to your doctor - about managing your PCOS. Most young women with PCOS need to take medication, even with good nutrition and exercise. If you have more questions about PCOS and nutrition, ask your doctor about talking to a nutritionist who has experience in working with teens with PCOS.

14 comments:

Amber Marie said...

Thank you for posting this. I think I have PCOS and I am trying to come to terms with it and hopefully eventually get pregnant.

Molly said...

Thanks so much for posting this! I too have PCOS and have just started a blog to reflect on that journey:

http://roots-andwings.blogspot.com/

bluenotes said...

Thanks so much for the tips! I was diagnosed with PCOS a year ago and I'm trying to get control of it and my weight. This will be a huge help! Follow my blog if you would like to know more about my journey!

JustAGirl said...

i noticed that you last posted 7 months ago? are u still doing this blog?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jackie said...

Thanks for the tips! I have been recently diagnosed and I am looking for all the info I can get!

Yvette said...

This was a great post - I have PCOS and have been trying to conceive my second child for over 5 years. I just started a low glycemic diet. So far so good.

Angela said...

Great blog!

Anonymous said...

Hey thanks for this.

I'm just coming to terms with my PCOS and it SUCKS. I'm about to start really working on naturally taking care of the weight and hormone issues, so I can feel better and maybe end up pregnant someday, too. If you feel like it, walk with me, give me advice, support, and whatever else you can. my blog is http://www.mamalj.wordpress.com

ORMAKI said...

Hi soul Cysters¡¡¡
Congratulations for this blog¡¡ it is incredible¡¡¡ this is the way to learn more about our condition,also share our stories with other ladies who suffer the same as us.
I have included your blog in my blog with the aim to share this condition worldwide, it will be a ring of blogs and web pages, association, let´s say like the yellow page of pcos..hope you do not mind¡¡ best regards to you all from Spain¡¡¡
My blog is: http://elanillodelsop.blogspot.com/

Mrs. Brittany said...

Thank you!!!!!

Samual said...

I found very useful information from your Blog. Ovulation is a process in which a mature egg cell, ready for fertilization by a sperm cell, is released from one of the ovaries. If the egg does not become fertilized as it travels down the fallopian tube on its way to the uterus, the endometrium (lining of the uterus) is shed and passes through the vagina (the passageway through which fluid passes out of the body during menstrual periods; also called the birth canal), in a process called menstruation. For women who do not want to become pregnant, treatment is focused on correcting the abnormal hormone levels, weight reduction, and managing cosmetic concerns. A healthy diet and increased physical activity allow more efficient use of insulin and decrease blood glucose levels to treat Polycystic ovarian disorder.

gymbunny82 said...

Hi, If your looking for PCOS diet tips, please check out my blog which I started a few years ago. I am managing my symptoms and keeping slim :)

Thanks K

Maria Lazaros said...

We tried to get pregnant for a few years in a local clinic. There were no results. We've tried everything possible but nothing. We were recommended to use donor eggs. I know we have to try herbal made medicine. I was terrified. I didn't know how to go about it and where to begin my search. When my friend recommended me to Dr Itua herbal medicine in Western African. I thought she was joking. I knew nothing about that country and I was afraid  with shame I must say I thought it was a little bit...wild? Anyway she convinced me to at least check it out. I've done the research and thought that maybe this really is a good idea. Dr Itua has reasonable prices. Also it has high rates of successful treatments. Plus it uses Natural Herbs. Well I should say I was convinced. My Husband gave it a try and now we can say it was the best decision in our lives. We were trying for so long to have a child and suddenly it all looked so simple. The doctors and staff were so confident and hopeful they projected those feelings on me too. I am so happy to be a mother and eternally thankful to Dr Itua  and Lori My Dear Friend. Don’t be afraid and just do it! Try Dr itua herbal medicine today and sees different in every situation.Dr Itua Contact Info...Whatsapp+2348149277967/drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Dr Itua have cure for the following diseases.All types of cancer,Liver/Kidney inflammatory,Fibroid,Infertility.Herpes Virus Hiv/Aids, ALS, Parkinson, Hepatitis,Diabetes..