Thursday, April 5, 2007

Who should diagnose and treat PCOS?

Any type of doctor familiar with PCOS might make the diagnosis, but the disorder is complicated and may be best treated by a specialist. If you are having difficulty getting pregnant, you should see a reproductive endocrinologist, while long-term management by an endocrinologist should be considered.

A general practitioner or an OBGYN may treat some women with the syndrome, but someone who specializes in endocrine disorders may be more familiar with treatment options and recent studies on PCOS.

With my daughter Becca, our OBGYN immediately referred us to an endocrinologist. She felt that Becca would get much better care than she could offer with someone who specializes in PCOS, which an endocrinologist does.

If you suspect you have PCOS and you are not getting the answers you want from your Primary Care Physician, make an appointment with your OBGYN.

No comments: